Wednesday, March 5, 2014

For my Grandparents

Last year, my Grandma, one of the most important people in my life, passed away.  A few months later, my Grandpa was admitted to a VA home because of his battle with Alzheimer's. During all of this, my Mom asked me to design the headstone that would mark their final resting place.

To be really honest, this was a difficult request. I didn't know why I felt conflicted at the time, other than we were losing two very wonderful people, and I felt pretty terrible about it. It was and is a tremendous honor, and I am very thankful that my Mom asked me to do it. I'm even more thankful that she was patient with me. Now that I am finished I have a better understanding of why I felt as I did. Hindsight is 20/20.

(click images for larger view)


Grandma
Her favorite bird was the hummingbird
Dogwood her favorite flower

 

Grandpa
He loved the outdoors
I can picture him fishing under this tree 


When I reflect on my Grandparents and these final illustrations, the key word that jumps out at me is the word "final". These are the final drawings that I will create for them and it really effected me more than I knew.

Ever since I was very young girl my Grandpa would draw headhunters for me. They were and are crazy special to me! It was the only thing he drew and I have headhunters tucked away in sketchbooks, and probably other places I've forgotten to surprise me when I least expect it. And I am not the only one. My Mom and my Aunt have them as well. Probably other people as well.

After I graduated from college, and became a professional, I drew headhunters for him and turned them into pins that he would wear on his hat. And he still wears them sometimes, even if he's forgotten where they came from and who I am. :)

Grandma loved receiving drawings, illustrations and designs from me, and I am lucky enough to have some of her art supplies and a few of her rough sketches. She would tell me how proud she was of me because I was one of the few people she knew that was doing what they said they would do as a child. That is a pretty amazing statement to have tucked away when I need the motivation. <3

I also had fun drawing caricatures of my Grandparents and creating paper cut out illustrations of my family. After she passed I inherited back the paper illustrations of my Grandma and Grandpa and have them protected until I can figure out where to hang them.

I know that this doesn't have to be the last thing that I do for them, but it does feel that it is the most important thing that I can do for them now. Nothing that I create will ever feel perfect enough, but they never saw my imperfections, and I love them for that.

Thanks, Mom, for giving me this honor.

3 comments:

  1. These are beautiful, Darcy. Your grandparents were always SO PROUD of you, and I'm positive this will please them BOTH! I'll NEVER forget your Grandma's reaction when you walked onstage at Miss Oklahoma in that slinky black dress - she was sitting in front of me, and her gasp was so loud I thought she was going to faint...she kept saying "oh my, oh my, oh my"..she had tears running down her cheeks! Now there were lots of Grandmas in that auditorium, but I don't think anyone's was so visibly moved as yours at the mere sight of her beautiful granddaughter that night!
    What a wonderful, lasting, beautiful tribute THESE are. You should be very pleased and proud you were able to do this for them. I'm proud of you, and love you dearly. Tamra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, Tamra. Thank you so much for that memory!!! I didn't know. I love you and all you have done for me.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful art. Beautiful story.
    May you continue to find forgotten memories (and art) of your beloved grandparents.

    ReplyDelete